[Foundation-l] Indian Minister Kapil Sibal Wants to Censor social

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 16:54:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 09:25:03PM +0530, Achal Prabhala wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 December 2011 08:27 PM, Kim Bruning wrote:
> > > I do not  believe that the Indian internet community shares Kapil
> > > Sibal's position. Though they'll have to speak for
> > > themselves, of course! :-)
> > They have:
> >
> > http://blogs.outlookindia.com/default.aspx?ddm=10&pid=2664
> >
> > and Mr Sibal's passing thought of yesterday is probably not going
> anywhere.
>
> And hurrah for that!  :-)

A cautious hurrah.

In April this year, the Indian government tried to restrict web content by
holding sites and service providers - or 'intermediaries' liable for
content.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/technology/28internet.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=india%20online&st=cse

These new rules will be considered by Parliament in the winter session -
and continue to pose a huge threat to online freedom of expression in India.

Best
Bishakha