[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Account Creation

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Dec 4 23:10:52 UTC 2011

> Yes, I got the same idea as Mateus when reading this thread: As you type
> in
> a user name (or tab to the next box), the form should tell you if that
> username is taken or not. That will save you a lot of trouble going back
> try a new user name.

We also have spoofing checks coding in the system which attempts to
prevent creation of similar names. You run into that when you try to
create an account. You have to override it at Special:UserLogin/signup in
order to create an account that is close in form to an existing one.

This spoofing check could be run before the person actually tries to
create the account then fails.

Fred