[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Phil Nash phnash at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 02:17:35 UTC 2011

1: "pedophiles are being blocked even if  they are not advocating, if I
remember correctly"
2: "they are blocked because their behaviour on the site is agains our
principles"

Either they are advocating, or they are not. Either they are inappropriately
trying to contact minors, or they are not. Either they are editing articles
with a pedophile POV, or they are not.

In any case, nobody seems to have the wit and depth of understanding to make
the distinction, and it seems Wikimedia would rather not take the risk,
arguably for fear of lurid and uninformed media "exposure". As a result,
some perfectly innocent editors at whom that label has been thrown, with
little or no cogent evidence, have been banned without any recourse
whatsoever. What pedophiles may imagine isn't acceptable to most people, but
unless they follow up their desires on Wikimedia projects, there should be
no reason for the Foundation or its various projects to take any action
whatsoever. I'm quite sure that we have editors with criminal convictions,
maybe even for homicide, and almost certainly some who have served terms of
imprisonment, yet we don't seem to impose any sanctions apart from this one
issue. And whereas criminals, by definition, have commited offences, it
isn't also the case that pedophiles have also committed offences.

In short, the current position (whatever it is)  is a pusillanimous stance
to maintain and not one that should be acceptable in any environment
claiming to be a defender of knowledge, free or otherwise, and consistently
adopting multiple policies that together predicate an intellectual purity.

Some clarity would be welcome here.