[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:53:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... The "downstream
> use" objection
> was *never* about downstream use of _content_ but downstream use of _labels_ and
> the structuring of the semantic data. That is a real horse of a
> different colour, and not
> of straw.

Tom thinks that this horse is real, but it has bolted.  I agree with
Tom that it is very simple for a commercial filter provider, or anyone
else who is sufficiently motivated, to find most naughty content on WP
and filter it.  Risker said she had experienced something like this.
Universities and schools have this too.

I would prefer that we do build good metadata/labels, but that we
(wikimedia) do not incorporate any general purpose use of them for
filtering from readers.  Hiding content is the easy way out.  The
inappropriate content on our projects is of one of two types:

1. inappropriate content that is quickly addressed, but it is seen by
some people as it works its way through our processes.  Sometimes it
is the public that sees the content; sometimes it is only the
community members who *choose* to patrol new pages/files while on the
train.

2. content which is appropriate for certain contexts, is known to be
problematic but concensus is that the content stays, however readers
stumble on it unawares.

The former cant be solved.

The latter can be solved by labelling but not filtering.  If you are
on the train and a link is annotated with a tag "nsfw", you can not
click it, or be wary about the destination page.

--
John Vandenberg