[Foundation-l] Chapters

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 16:01:34 UTC 2011

Hi Risker

I would like to ask your opinion on WMF's stewardship of the money. The
Foundation has fulfilled its legal obligation as a non-profit but as a
community member from english wikipedia, do you feel it has been accountable
to you or spent it on worthwhile activities for the community? the reality
is WMF raised several times more money than all chapters combined, this
year's target is 30% or so more than previous year's. Do you think
concentration of all that money with one organization and one entity is a
smart idea with a global movement like ours?

You are taking broad strokes here with chapters, It was a handful of
chapters that were allowed to fundraise last year (maybe 8 or 10 at most).
Not all of them were rolling in money instantly. it was going to be rolled
out to several more chapters this year or so was the plan, until
the fundraising summit this year, which everyone from the staff and most of
the interested chapters attended.

As for generalizations about chapters use of donor money, off the top of my
head, I can think of several projects that were possible because of the last
fundraiser, Wiki loves Monument, which was eventually rolled out to several
other chapters, there were multiple GLAM related activities- Wikipedian in
residence programs in Germany and France supported by the chapters this past
year. We can't forget the annual cost of Toolserver which was made possible
by WMDE's independent fundraising. There were probably more local projects
that were planned that we never heard about. I know there were discussions
about expanding several projects but now those chapters have all held
themselves in light of an uncertain future.

Its going to be the end of activities and projects like those, if chapter
independence to raise funds is taken away. I completely agreed with Birgitte
SB's take on the matter earlier.

Do you want WMF to be the sole and only authority for what the entire
movement does? Every project, every little activity in their slice of the
world or their online community has to be individually approved and
sanctioned by WMF. It's taking away independence of these small groups in
deciding what's best for their own part of the world or community, somewhere
along the line this is getting conflated into issues of accountability that
no one really disagrees with, not the chapters themselves. the only solution
because of certain chapters mismanagement, is to make every chapter more or
less a branch office of WMF.

Theo