[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Sat Aug 27 22:40:24 UTC 2011

On 26 August 2011 12:35, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> This implies that the proposed image hiding feature is a less repressive
>> form of censorship. I do not see the proposed feature as censorship - all
>> the images remain on the site. Nothing is removed. Nothing is suppressed.
>> Everything remains.
>
> The image hiding feature itself is not a form of censorship, as far as
> I'm aware of.

Just as an interesting point I've not seen mentioned yet: ar.wp has an
image-hiding feature, implemented using a template (قالب:إخفاء صورة)
and which effectively conceals the image until the user clicks to
display.

It's manually added to pages, is currently used in ~100 (predominantly
medical/sexual?) articles, and has been used for approximately three
years. I'm not aware of any other projects currently using a similar
one, but it doesn't seem to have caused the end of the world there :-)
My Arabic is basically nonexistent, so while I can tell there *are*
some past discussions about it, I've no idea what they were saying.
Anyone?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk