[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 08:20:38 UTC 2011

On 27 August 2011 09:04,  <DGGenwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2011 11:12am, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 26 August 2011 16:06, David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > This labeling is proposed to be done on the basis not of the regular
>> > commons categories, but of special ones designed for the purpose; not
>> > on the regular WP editors, but a special committee.

>> Ooh, *really*. Then this initiative will be bitterly resisted at every
>> turn.

> I am not sure if your wording implies that I am being excessively negative
> or skeptical. But yes, I very definitely think it should be resisted at
> every stage of implementation. What else can we do, if the people who
> should be providing services to us, try to run things for us. the community
> is sometimes wrong; the board is sometimes right. I would rather go wrong
> with the community , than right with the board.T, there is no other way of
> preserving the values of independence and spontaneity which are the essence
> of our projects. The distinctiveness of Wikipedia is that we are a
> community-directed project, and no person or group--even groups of our own
> choosing-- has the authority to lead us.

That's what I meant - plans for a special committee, and not a
community decision, had somehow escaped my notice. That's just a
ridiculously, amazingly, bad idea. The community is frequently on
crack, but a special committee for this job can only be worse.

Is it in fact the case that the job is to be handed to a special
committee? If so, who thought this was a good idea and why?

- d.