[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Fri Aug 26 12:47:34 UTC 2011

I think there are definitely some neutral criteria which might be
applicable. And maybe there are some criteria which are harder to neutralize
(yeah, i know - has a different meaning :) )

Take for example nudity. It should be possible to create a category "Images
that show a vagina", "images that show a penis" which can even be
subcategorized into "(...) as main topic of the picture" or "(...) as detail
of the picture". It will require some work and thinking by neutrality
thinkers like you, but it should be possible. And I'm confident that you and
the likes of you will stay close on the topic to help us remember that we
should make it as objective as possible.

The next step is that someone can use these neutral categories to choose
what he/she wants or does not want to see. For example, maybe someone has a
fear of elevators, so that person can hide all images in the category
"images that show an elevator".

Violence is definitely a topic harder to define objectively - but I'm
confident we'll find a way to do that. If people have problems with that, we
shouldn't change the categories (we could add more), but they should change
their filter, and choose other categories to hide/show.

The only truely non-neutral part could be where we suggest which categories
someone might want to hide. Or packages of categories.

Lodewijk