[Foundation-l] Astonished by the so-called principle of least astonishment

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 17 17:55:13 UTC 2011

Teofilo, I think you're looking at the wrong Principle of Least
astonishment page. You should look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment
not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Principle_of_least_astonishment

At the time the resolution was passed, there was much discussion of the
importance of providing appropriate context for controversial content.
Some of the problematic situations that were discussed included
potentially offensive images in unexpected categories or being featured
as Picture of the Day. One specific example that was cited was the fact
that the category "People using vacuum cleaners" on Commons at one time
included nothing but photos of nude women using vacuum cleaners.
Technically, it was correct categorization, but it was certainly
astonishing.

Ryan Kaldari