[Foundation-l] Image filter referendum

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:32:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 20:57, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just been looking at the image filter referendum. Could someone
> from the Foundation please explain what you hope to gain by holding
> it? The questions are extremely leading, so I doubt you will learn
> anything useful from it (is anyone really going to say that they don't
> think it's important to be culturally neutral?). Are you hoping to
> determine people's priorities by seeing which ones they rate as 10 and
> which as merely 8 or 9? If so, why? Can you not just implement them
> all?
>
> My understanding was that this referendum was intended to give the
> community some say in what happened with this proposed feature. The
> questions you are asking don't do that in the slightest. If you want
> to be able to say the feature has community support, you need to
> actually ask the community whether or not they support it.

Ah, that reminds me on Milosevic's referendum from 1998. ... Actually,
after searching for the precise question, I've realized that the
question itself was neutral ("Do you accept involvement of foreign
representatives in the process of solving problems on Kosovo?"). At
the other side, need for justification of already made decision and
propaganda around it makes them very comparable. In other words, this
referendum is worse than Milosevic's one.

I have to say that I was thinking to give vote in favor. However,
after this kind of gaming community's opinion, on the line of many
infamous referendums in totalitarian regimes and banana republics, I
will boycott it.