[Foundation-l] We need to make it easy to fork and leave

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Aug 16 01:56:22 UTC 2011

On 15/08/11 18:14, Fred Bauder wrote:
>> I'm just trying to evaluate the scale of the risk here. The amount of
>> resources that we need to spend on this should be proportional to the
>> risk.
>>
>> -- Tim Starling
>
> That technical staff have effective power to decide whether a fork is
> justified is reason enough.

I'm not in a position to actually allocate resources to this or to
decide whether it's justified. I'm asking these questions mostly for
my own curiosity, and in case someone seeks my opinion on it in the
future.

When you launched Internet-Encyclopedia, I was very positive about its
utility. Brion and I gave it all the support it needed. The "green
link" feature in particular required Wikinfo to be whitelisted in the
server configuration so that it didn't get blocked for its high
request rate. I reviewed Proteus's fork of MediaWiki to see if there
were any changes that we could reincorporate. So it's not like I'm
staunchly anti-fork.

-- Tim Starling