[Foundation-l] Alec Conroy

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 12 19:37:11 UTC 2011

Yeah, Alec wrote me just before he left. I hope he doesn't mind me saying
this here: he told me he was scrambling his Wikimedia and GMail passwords,
and that he won't be back. (He did say he's going to continue to donate,
which is great; he just won't be active on-wiki.)

I have mixed feelings about him leaving. I don't know everything he did
on-wiki, but I know enough to respect his contributions, and I also found
his e-mails (both on-list and off) enormously thoughtful and valuable. I am
sad he's left and I'm going to miss him personally: I liked him a lot, and I
benefited from his ideas and opinions. So, I can't help but hope he changes
his mind and comes back.

OTOH though, I want to respect his right to make whatever decision is best
for him -- his hard work for the movement was a gift, not an obligation. If
he chooses to come back, I'd be thrilled. If he doesn't, I will just be
grateful for the contributions he made when he was active :-)

Thanks,
Sue