[Foundation-l] Chapters

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 00:56:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM, <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't think chapters are being cut off I think they are being
> centralized. Centralization, not lack of funding, is what I believe will
> make chapters ineffective.  Frankly, I think cutting off their funding would
> be less detrimental (although still not a good thing) to the chapter's
> long-term effectiveness than centralizing them into a grant program.  It
> would be worse for the near-term, but many would still recover from it as
> owner-led organizations funded locally outside of the WMF banner campaign.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but where has it been suggested that chapters
would not remain free to raise funds independently of the WMF?  My
impression was that the change being discussed here would merely remove
participation in the WMF fundraiser as a funding source and replace it with
direct WMF grants; presumably chapters could seek funding elsewhere?

Kirill