[Foundation-l] Board letter about fundraising and chapters

Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 13:12:59 UTC 2011

On Aug 6, 2011, at 3:14 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello MZM, thanks for taking a start at new pages to illustrate the
> discussion on Meta.
>
> MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> writes:
> .
>

>> Anyone who thinks that this particular issue
>> is outside of this list's scope is insane. Using internal-l as a substitute
>> for an open discussion isn't appropriate or in line with Wikimedia's values.
>
> Internal-l is, among other things, a place for chapters to discuss
> chapter-internal topics in a slightly quieter forum.  I would prefer
> for it to be a world-readable group-writeable list, since I see few
> reasons for truly private discussions about movementwide issues... but
> as long as we have internal-l as currently designed, this topic seems
> appropriate there too.

That wasn't the design of internal-l, and I hope no-one misinterpts your mail to think this. Internal-l as it was designed could never have been made publicly readable. If it has quietly morphed into something other than what it was originally advertised as, such things can happen. To be completely honest, if I had not been rather wary of the prospect of it not living up to it's design at the time I would have asked to join.  I really don't enjoy telling people they are fools, yet I feel like coward when I stay silent. So I just I tend to avoid forums where I expect a lot of foolishness. But I can't have much sympathy for chapters feeling bullied by WMF when they only address the issues important to them in a manner so conductive to manipulation.

BirgitteSB