[Foundation-l] Board letter about fundraising and chapters

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Fri Aug 5 22:06:36 UTC 2011

On 8/5/2011 2:22 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Beria, I don't think your views on transparency as stated mesh all
> that well with the character of this list. I'd suspect the same is
> true of the wider community of editors and donors; the assertion that
> details be discussed in private is both improper and at distinct odds
> with the history of the WMF. If chapters prefer that their actions not
> be subject to the oversight of the WMF and Wikimedia community, then
> they should do their own fundraising and develop their own trademarks.
When it comes to the relationship between the Wikimedia Foundation and
one of its chapters, I think it's understandable that much of that
discussion happens directly between the foundation and the given
chapter. That's no different than the kind of interaction people expect
under any circumstances. It's just like an editor might want to receive
the courtesy of being contacted personally, on their user talk page or
via email, about a problem, rather than somebody going off to blast them
on a mailing list. So at some point, I think the concepts of "in
private" or "in public" are not really what anybody is aiming for,
especially since they get used in such black-and-white terms that leave
no flexibility for circumstances.

That being said, when it comes to discussing the guiding principles for
things like fundraising, or the relationships between the foundation and
chapters collectively, I do think it would be better to have more of
that discussion open to the entire community. In terms of identifying
the right forum for discussion, though, I'm not sure how much better
this list really is, given that anecdotally its atmosphere has driven so
many chapter people to resist subscribing. Honestly, I must say that it
is a colossal disappointment to find that with all the posts I've seen
both here and on internal-l, nobody has yet made a single edit to the
talk page on Meta where the letter was posted. Doesn't anybody here know
how to use a wiki?

--Michael Snow