[Foundation-l] Turn the things the other way around "Baidu Baike copies content from Wikipedia without attribution"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:01:11 UTC 2011

On 25 April 2011 07:45, Joan Goma <jrgoma at gmail.com> wrote:

> They have copied articles from Chinese Wikipedia and translated articles
> from English and Japanese Wikipedia so in my opinion their work is a
> derivative one

This is true.

> and according to the CCSA terms it is also CCSA no mater what
> they say.

No, this is absolutely not the case.

The licence is a permission, not a viral infection (despite the
confusion engendered by the licences being termed "viral" in another
context).

That you licence your work as CC by-sa does not make a further
derivative automatically CC by-sa. It means that if they distribute it
further (as they have) without obeying your licence (as they have not)
and without releasing their changes as CC-by-sa (as they have not),
then they are in violation (as they are).

*But* this *still* does not automatically relicence their work - it
just means they are in violation until they choose to do so.

You can't forcibly relicence someone else's work without a court
order, even if they are grossly violating your licence. You just
can't. It doesn't work like that.

> What about creating a bot to copy from Baidu all the articles not yet
> existing in Chinese wikipedia.

This is a terrible idea and you should not do it.

- d.