[Foundation-l] Letter to Baidu and press release "Baidu Baike copies content from Wikipedia without attribution" draft

HW waihorace at yahoo.com.hk
Sun Apr 24 09:21:09 UTC 2011

It should be 1600. Sorry for this.

HW

________________________________
寄件人﹕ WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com>
收件人﹕ foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
傳送日期﹕ 2011/4/24 (日) 4:45:11 PM
主題: [Foundation-l] Letter to Baidu and press release "Baidu Baike copies content
from Wikipedia without attribution" draft

16,000,000 out of 3,000,000 articles sounds high to me, it would mean
over 500% of it was copyvio. Could that be individual edits?

Otherwise I suggest:

day mon, 2011
Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org), a non-profit project run by the
Wikimedia Foundation, uses an open licence but with some terms.
The Chinese Wikipedia community welcomes the development of Baidu's
encyclopedia project Baidu Baike, as Baidu's efforts to build a
Chinese language encyclopaedia are complementary to Wikimedia's aims
to make the sum of human knowledge freely available to everyone in the
world. However, Baidu Baike has repeatedly violated the copyright of
Wikipedia. Wikipedians have complained many times but without result.

Baidu Baike started in April 2006, and now has more than 3 million
articles. However, Wikipedian's investigations indicate that more than
16,000,000<seems high should this be 160,000?> of the edits that
created these articles were copies from the Chinese Wikipedia or
translations from the English or Japanese versions of Wikipedia. These
copies and translations were done without complying with the licence
adopted by Wikipedia. This is a copyright violation against Wikipedia
editors, who write for free, asking only that their work remains free
and is attributed to them. So the contents of Wikipedia are available
to all under  the CC-by-sa-3.0 and GDFL licences, including to Baidu.
But Baidu Baike doesn't comply with these licences, and claims
ownership of all content contributed to it with "? 2011 Baidu" stated
at the bottom of every page. As for attribution, according to some
users, even if all content is copied from
Wikipedia, Baidu' does not allow Wikipedia even to be listed as a
reference. When Wikipedians find people have copied and pasted content
from Baidu Baike into Wikipedia they quickly delete this as it
breaches Baidu's copyright. But Baidu Baike editors take insufficient
action when they see copyright violation. The terms of use of Baidu
Baike say the users who post  material are responsible for the
copyright issues, but as the operator of Baidu Baike, Baidu should
also take responsibility to resolve this.

Therefore, the Chinese Wikipedia community has sent a letter again to
Baidu requesting them to take action, and has decided to escalate
matters by doing so publicly.

There is a great opportunity here for Baidu and its contributors.
Moving Baidu Baike to the CC-by-sa-3.0 licence would allow Wikipedia
and Baidu Baike to exchange content and attribute it to the original
authors. Users of Baidu Baike would have more confidence that the
material was legitimate, and writers who contribute to Baidu Baike
would know that their content could be translated into other language
versions of Wikipedia with attribution, just as Chinese Wikipedians
know that some of their writings are translated into other languages
but still attributed to them.

About Wikipedia
Wikipedia is an Encyclopaedia written by volunteers, and is the
largest project of the Wikimedia Foundation. "Imagine a world in which
every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
That's our commitment." This is how Jimmy Wales, the founder of
Wikipedia, explains the mission of Wikimedia.

About CC-by-sa-3.0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC-BY-SA-3.0

Press contact
Wikimedia Hong Kong: infowikimedia.hk Tango Chan: tango.chanwikimedia.hk +852
9063-2515
Wikimedia Taiwan: presswikimedia.tw Ted Chien: htchienwikimedia.tw
Chinese Wikipedia OTRS system: info-zhwikimedia.org

WSC