[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 00:48:51 UTC 2011

It might be easier if you look at it as a numerical scale where "native speaker" is a quality level at or near the top, and someone who speaks none of or only a handful of words in the language is at the bottom. From Jay's clarification:

"Perhaps a more clear way to write this sentence would have simply been to state that we're looking for a candidate who can speak English as well as another language at the 'native speaker' level - that is, someone who is bilingual. "

The way I read this is that they want you to have two languages at the "native speaker" quality level. Or in other words, if an average native English speaker can speak at a 4 out of 5 point scale (hypothetically assume that a full 5 would be reserved for someone like a university English professor or something),  then they're asking that you speak both English and one other language at at least 4 out of 5 points.