[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Fri Apr 15 23:54:28 UTC 2011

I feel your pain. Everything is funny as long as it happens to somebody else.

 From
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings/Movement_Communications_Manager

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Don't they know how to write without shouting?)

"Exceptional English writing is critical for this role, including the
ability to write time-sensitive, efficient, compelling, and clearly
understandable communications products for a wide range of audiences."

This is clearly discriminatory since it excludes 99,999 % of all
American citizens and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion,
sex, or national origin; national origin is what's at stake here.

"Demonstrated ability to work (speak, read, write at a professional
level) effectively in a language other than English (ideally as a
native speaker)."

This is clearly discriminatory, since it includes 99,999 % of
non-American citizens.

Therefore, as it has been written, these required qualifications
discriminate against American citizens and clearly favor a
non-American citizen (a.k.a. "bloody foreigner" or "illegal
immigrant", please excuse my "bloody language").

These language requirements may indeed be perfectly aligned with
everyday practice at anything run by the Wikimedia Foundation,
considering the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Article 23 (1) Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of
employment, to just and favorable conditions of work and to
protection against unemployment.

Article 2. Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set
forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as
race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion,
national or social origin, property, birth or other status. [...]
(Did you notice "language"?)

Writing "about this was useful and interesting."

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado (Vapmachado)