[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 15 23:43:18 UTC 2011

On 04/15/11 4:02 PM, Sarah wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 16:53, Risker<risker.wp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> But here we see something that happens on this list a lot. Someone
>>> questions or disagrees, and they're attacked. Why is that? What is it
>>> that makes questioning a bad thing?
>> I'm sorry that you're feeling beleaguered, Sarah; that is not my intention.
> It wasn't you, Risker. It was David's comment: "Should you have been consulted?"
>
> I am tired of seeing these comments on this list. It's the first time
> one has been directed at me, but I've watched other people be treated
> the same way. It makes no sense. Questioning, disagreement, and
> transparency are important; it's what Wikimedia is all about, in fact.
> I know people sometimes go too far, and occasionally gentle rebukes
> may be needed, but they happen way too often on this list, with very
> little provocation -- and they're not gentle.
>
> We can't say we want new editors, old editors to stay, and a good
> atmosphere onwiki, then have these kinds of exchanges.

It is a valid point about David's comment. Maybe us old hands have
become too accustomed to David's sarcasm. Other than that it seems to
have been a conversation where one person was offside to everybody else.
I've been there before and know how uncomfortable it can become.  The
insensitive comment was certainly not essential to the main topic of the
thread,  but if in raising it the only result would be to have David
personally change his ways nothing of significance to the community
would have been accomplished.  One person would have been fixed while
the rest of us could go smugly on believing that that was the end of it.

The continuum from valid on-topic comments, through insensitive sarcasm
to outright personal attacks is not made up of discrete and easily
identifiable steps.  Where is the middle ground between insensitivity
and hypersensitivity.

Ray