[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:31:03 UTC 2011

On 15 April 2011 18:24, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 16:16, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> > Well, I would not be surprised to be wrong, but I don't think your legal
> > theory would be valid, after all the candidate fluent in Urdo may well be
> > an American citizen and have read at Oxford. The question is whether a
> > global organization hires globally, hiring people who have experience and
> > skill in communicating globally.
> >
> Right, I understand that. But my question is whether an employment ad
> in America could lawfully say (or imply), "Ideally your native
> language is not Urdu."

No, your question was whether or not the ad that the WMF posted for a
specific position could seek out candidates who are able to communicate in a
language other than English as a native language. The WMF ad didn't say
anything about Urdu, so asking about it is a strawman. Please don't do that.

Risker