[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:21:02 UTC 2011

On 15 April 2011 17:46, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 15:26, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> > I don't think it is bias. Giving extra attention to the global south is a
> > legitimate goal. Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, French, English, and
> > Chinese are commonly spoken there. There are different considerations
> > with respect to each language. Actually I think more people speak Hindi
> > than speak English.
>
> It might be a laudable goal, but the question is whether it's lawful
> in the United States, or in California, whichever prevails. Because
> what it suggests is, if there are two candidates equally qualified --
> a person from Ireland whose first language is English (and excellent),
> and a person from Afghanistan whose second language is English (and
> excellent) -- the latter will be preferred. Not because their first
> language is one the Foundation is specifically looking for (which
> could be justified), but because they were born in a country that did
> not make them a native English speaker. That is discrimination. Try to
> imagine an ad that said: "Ideally your native language is not Urdu."

In my area 30% of people are perfectly capable of communicating at a native
level in two languages, and others have already shown that an equivalent
percentage in California itself can do that too. In Europe, the ratio is
probably even higher, as it is in several other countries. Place of birth is
no longer the sole determining factor in what languages people communicate
in proficiently, and it hasn't been for at least a generation.

The WMF is an international organization, and having employees who are
effective in a range of languages is not just a laudable goal, it is crucial
to the Foundation's success; that alone is enough to give it an exemption
from the "Americans first" rule.  And the Urdu line bears no resemblance to
anything that is actually in the advertisement.

I tend to agree with Will that it's very unlikely the WMF will find someone
who meets every one of their "ideal candidate" criteria; however, finding
someone who fits all criteria of a position description at this level is
almost impossible for any organization. I'll be saddened but not surprised
when the successful candidate is announced and someone immediately pipes up
"but s/he doesn't meet criterion 32(b)(ii)! How could you have hired this
person!! They're unqualified!!"

Risker