[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:46:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 15:26, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> I don't think it is bias. Giving extra attention to the global south is a
> legitimate goal. Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, French, English, and
> Chinese are commonly spoken there. There are different considerations
> with respect to each language. Actually I think more people speak Hindi
> than speak English.

It might be a laudable goal, but the question is whether it's lawful
in the United States, or in California, whichever prevails. Because
what it suggests is, if there are two candidates equally qualified --
a person from Ireland whose first language is English (and excellent),
and a person from Afghanistan whose second language is English (and
excellent) -- the latter will be preferred. Not because their first
language is one the Foundation is specifically looking for (which
could be justified), but because they were born in a country that did
not make them a native English speaker. That is discrimination. Try to
imagine an ad that said: "Ideally your native language is not Urdu."

Sarah