[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:02:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 13:53, jay walsh <jwalsh at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Glad to see lots of discussion about this, and I appreciate that the phrasing of the language qualifications may lead to a bit of confusion.
>
> Perhaps a more clear way to write this sentence would have simply been to state that we're looking for a candidate who can speak English as well as another language at the 'native speaker' level - that is, someone who is bilingual.
>
> This is of course not intended to be discriminatory - many of the volunteers I work with on a regular basis speak/write in english very well, but they are native speakers of another language.  In many cases they speak/write in more than 2 languages.

Hi Jay,

Would you mind changing that ad to make clear that you're looking for
someone who's highly proficient in a language other than English,
rather than "ideally as a native speaker" in that language? That
wording strongly suggests to me that you may judge applicants in terms
of where they're from. Fred got the same impression, when he talked
about Europeans dominating and "our hope is to get the rest of the
world involved." That would be an unfair hiring practice, not to
mention shooting the Foundation in the foot in terms of cutting off a
large number of potential applicants.

Sarah