[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:32:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:36,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 4/5/2011 6:08:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> bnewstead at wikimedia.org writes:
>> Another quick note on the Movement Communications Manager posting that we
>> are hoping to fill at WMF.  We have a number of applicants, but very, very
>> few are from the Wikimedia community. We would really love to fill this
>> role
>> with a strong Wikimedian, so if you are interested or know someone who may
>> be interested, please apply or reach out to Jay Walsh or myself.
>>
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings/Movement_Communications_Manager
>>
> The job is written in such a narrow way that it's not very likely you're
> going to get many candidates from within the community sorry.
> You want someone with a communications degree, who is a native English
> speaker, can also communicate in a non-English language, and has experience in
> CSS, and templates, and Wikimedia projects in general.

I understood that they wanted someone who was ideally *not* a native
English speaker. That was something that concerned me when I read it,
because it looked as if the intention was to disadvantage applicants
who had English as a first language. Or did I misunderstand it?

"Demonstrated ability to work (speak, read, write at a professional
level) effectively in a language other than English (ideally as a
native speaker)"