[Foundation-l] Archiving wikis

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:52:55 UTC 2011

emijrp, 14/04/2011 12:52:
> We know that websites are fragile and that broken links are common.
> Wikimedia (and other communities like Wikia) publish dumps of their wikis,
> but, that is not common. Most wiki communities don't publish any backups  [...]

Would it make sense to add a feature to MediaWiki 8disabled by default)
that makes the regular generation of dumps automatic and creates some
special page to access them or even sends them to some central
repository (we could create one for free license projects)?
So people wouldn't need to care about dumps and we wouldn't need to go
around looking for wikis.

Nemo