[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Chris Keating fightingforfairness at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:10:36 UTC 2011

> I just tried editing an article on en:wp on my shiny new BlackBerry
> 9300. (Which can browse Wikipedia just fine.) It was ridiculously
> annoying and I'm not sure I'd bother fixing typos I spotted in casual
> reading.
>
> (At least Vector worked in that version of the BlackBerry browser ...)
>
> Does anyone here edit any of the WMF wikis, or any other wiki, on
> their phone much? What's it like, and what's the phone?

I've edited the occasional talk page on en.wp from my Android. However, it's really difficult - the size of the pages means there's loads of scrolling, it's difficult to find the right place, and Wiki markup requires lots of fiddly special characters which are difficult to locate on a mobile touch keyboard.
To be honest, these are all problems that affect editing from a desktop as well, unless you're used to it. Wiki markup is simple if the article contains only headings and text. But if the article contains images, conversion templates, infoboxes and reference tags it can easily appear to be a barrage of incomprehensible code. And we rely heavily on square and curly brackets, pipe characters and tildes which most people probably never otherwise use on their keyboards.
Chris(The Land)