[Foundation-l] Vandal obscene redirect from Toolserver

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:29:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> As admin (but not Toolserver admin), the sense of rules similar to "
> excuses such as 'the rules didn't say I can't do this' will be
> ignored." is obvious to me and it means "don't make troubles". Having
> a redirect to a Wikipedia page is not "making troubles".

That is for the toolserver admins to decide, not you.  It is not
helpful for you to discourage people from complaining to the
toolserver admins, particularly not on false grounds.  I have no
strong opinion on whether this particular complaint is legitimate, but
any user who thinks the toolserver is being misused should definitely
bring it to the attention of the toolserver admins, such as by posting
to toolserver-l (if they want it to be public) or
ts-admins at wikimedia.org (if they want it to be private).

> This issue could be discussed more and I am not saying that the best
> way for making directory listing forbidden is to make such redirect.
> However, raising this issue at foundation-l is more about making
> troubles than having such redirect.

Even if that's the case, it is still entirely incorrect to say "Server
admins usually prefer not to do anything in relation to personal files
if it is not a security problem and if they don't have court order."
The toolserver is not a place where users can do whatever they feel
like as long as they don't cause too much trouble.  The admins are
perfectly willing to step in and stop toolserver users from doing
anything that they feel is out of line.

That said, foundation-l is indeed not the correct place to have this
discussion, and further discussion should occur on toolserver-l (which
was originally CCd as well as foundation-l).  The toolserver is not
run by the Wikimedia Foundation, but by Wikimedia Deutschland, which
is a separate entity, so a discussion on foundation-l isn't as likely
to reach the right people.