[Foundation-l] Vandal obscene redirect from Toolserver

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:24:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 15:53, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're mistaken.  The toolserver has strict rules:
>
> https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Rules
>
> Using toolserver access in a manner that does not further the
> toolserver's goals (or, indeed, hinders them) is a misappropriation of
> donated resources and will be dealt with harshly.  More than a few
> users' accounts have been shut down for abuse.  Even if something is
> not specifically against the rules, toolserver roots reserve the right
> to prohibit or penalize it ex post facto at their discretion.  As the
> rules say: "The toolserver is not a wiki and excuses such as 'the
> rules didn't say I can't do this' will be ignored."
>
> Since this isn't urgent, I'll leave it for more active admins to deal
> with.  However, I would not be at all surprised if the user was asked
> to take down the redirect, at the very least.

As admin (but not Toolserver admin), the sense of rules similar to "
excuses such as 'the rules didn't say I can't do this' will be
ignored." is obvious to me and it means "don't make troubles". Having
a redirect to a Wikipedia page is not "making troubles".

This issue could be discussed more and I am not saying that the best
way for making directory listing forbidden is to make such redirect.
However, raising this issue at foundation-l is more about making
troubles than having such redirect.