[Foundation-l] Outdated manual

Samuel Klein sjklein at hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 10 21:50:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:20 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Sue Gardner wrote:
>> On 9 April 2011 01:14, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> May someone update manual in which it is written that Wikipedia is the
>>> fifth site by traffic? For the most of 2010 and whole 2011 it has varied
>>> between 6th and 8th place [1].

comScore, Alexa, &c use different methods.  comScore is not perfect,
and has known biases in its coverage, but it is a bit better than
Alexa in that regard.  (We used to rely on Alexa data and moved away
from it)

I would love better data - if you have a better source, or a better
way to describe the data from multiple sources, that would be a great
reason to update our public docs.  But just replacing comScore cites
with Alexa cites won't be an improvement.

MZM writes:
>> The top five websites as measured by comScore global unique visitors,
<< are: Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, Wikimedia.

> As far as I understand this, that would mean that saying "Wikipedia is the
> fifth most visited website" is still completely wrong, as the comScore data
> is an aggregate of the various Wikimedia wikis.

Those are all aggregates of multiple projects.  Most of the others use
a single TLD but they aren't single 'sites'.  [for SEO purposes, we
would probably do better if every project shared the same TLD the way
Google's do, but that's another thread.]

SJ

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266