[Foundation-l] Foundation too passive, wasting community talent

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Apr 5 15:32:55 UTC 2011

David Gerard wrote:
> On 5 April 2011 09:48, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> 2011/4/5 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>
>
>>> Article rating has been a wanted feature for *years*.
>
>> ... And in the Hungarian Wikipedia it was even implemented quite a
>> long time ago. If i recall correctly, at some point i saw it in the
>> Polish, too.
>
> I didn't know that at all :-) Having it as a proper supported
> extension pulled into core-ish code would definitely be an advance.

Aye, the English Wiktionary has had a rating feature in the sidebar for ages
as well. (The English Wiktionary's implementation might be the oldest
working system.) I wrote some comments about the grant-based ArticleFeedback
tool here and there are some interesting, thoughtful replies:
http://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?oldid=395730#Assorted_comments

I think a neat rating tool would be an awesome addition to MediaWiki. I
don't think it's top priority, though. I also don't think the current
implementation is anywhere near what users would actually want to see. The
English Wikipedia has a lot of "quirky" articles, for example. It'd be
awesome if you could get a list of those easily (or randomly flip through
the most quirky). Or the most "fascinating," the articles with the "best
layouts," (following the addition of a "share this article" feature) the
"most e-mailed," (following the addition of proper view metrics) the "most
viewed," etc.

MZMcBride