[Foundation-l] Vector, a year after

Pronoein pronoein at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:38:15 UTC 2011

Le 05/04/2011 07:41, Amir E. Aharoni a écrit :
> That's the problem with grants, i guess. If a rich - and certainly
> well-meaning - foundation invests money in a Big Project that doesn't
> hurt free knowledge, but doesn't advance it too much either, it's not
> a big problem by itself.
Indeed! Vector has opponents. But which arguments have they ever given?
- The opportunity cost?
- What?
- The opportunity cost. [1]
- Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah.
- And the community cost.
- Oh, yeah, the community cost. Remember all the toil the new skin required?
- Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the opportunity cost and the community
cost are two arguments that the opponents have given.
- And the monetary cost.
- Well, yeah. Obviously the monetary cost. I mean, the money go without
saying, doesn't it? But apart from the opportunity, the community , and
the monetary costs--
- Useless changes.
- Unneeded changes.
- Huh? Heh? Huh...
- Imposed changes.
- Ohh...
- Yeah, yeah. All right. Fair enough.
- And the controversy.
- Oh, yes. Yeah...
- Yeah. Yeah, that's something we'd really appreciate, if there were
consensus before changes. Huh.
- All right, but apart from the opportunity cost, the community cost,
the monetary cost, useless, unneeded and imposed changes, and the
controversy, what have the community ever had to say to us?
- They built Wikipedia.
- Oh. Wikipedia? Shut up!