[Foundation-l] Vector, a year after

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:27:12 UTC 2011

On 4 April 2011 16:20, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> I understand that WMF's resources are limited, but the development and
> the deployment of Vector did cost some money and also forced a lot of
> volunteers in English and in all other language projects to make
> adjustments to their sites. Measuring volunteer effort is harder to
> measure than money, but it's certainly not negligible.

If this is a valid argument - that technical changes should not be
made if it would make work for other volunteers - then God forbid
development continue on MediaWiki. See the current thread on
wikitech-l about how chronically broken most site JavaScript is and
what to do about the problem, given that freezing MediaWiki in
perpetuity is really just not going to happen.

- d.