[Foundation-l] Pending Changes development update: September 27

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 30 19:55:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> The test wiki is here:  http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
> (MZMcBride seems to be the most responsive local bureaucrat, if you want to
> have admin permissions there.)

Actually, we're not updating the flaggedrevs.labs site anymore.  I've
just posted a little more about this here:
http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Pending_Changes_updates

> The current list of bugzillas being worked on is here (cribbed from RobLa's
> post)
>
> We're currently tracking the list of items we intend to complete in
> Bugzilla. You can see the latest list here:
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=25293

...and I'll note that there have been surprisingly few comments there.
 While I recognize Bugzilla may not be for everyone, I'd really
appreciate if we got some help bridging Bugzilla to our other modes of
communication, and with organizing the feedback.  Specific input mixed
in with an unorganized sea of general input is not nearly as likely to
find its way to the right person as specific input that's easily
rediscovered by the developer at the time that the problem is assigned
to them.

> Also cribbed from RobLa's message:
> Ongoing use of Pending Changes is contingent upon consensus after the
> deployment of an interim release of Pending Changes in November 2010,
> which is currently under development. The roadmap for this deployment
> is described here:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Pending_Changes_enwiki_trial/Roadmap
>

> On looking at the bugzillas, I note that many of the more serious issues
> identified in the Roadmap are not addressed. I will leave it to RobLa to
> explain that rationale.

Can you please leave specific instances of the gaps you're referring
to on the talk page?
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Pending_Changes_enwiki_trial/Roadmap

Generally, the plan is to fix the easy and obvious stuff for the
November release, while simultaneously developing a more comprehensive
plan.

Thanks
Rob