[Foundation-l] Pending Changes development update: September 27

Aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 02:37:22 UTC 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 10:00 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 September 2010 21:07, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/28/10 7:41 PM, Risker wrote:
>>> Yes it is, and it's an important one.  Several of us had already
>>> been
>>> working on a plan for the second trial, and those of us discussing
>>> had
>>> widely agreed that it would be much more likely to be successful
>>> if more
>> of
>>> the recommendations on improving the software were incorporated,
>>> thus our
>>> recommendation that it not proceed so rapidly.
>>
>> I respect what you are saying here, very much.  But I think the right
>> approach is always "release early, release often".  There is no
>> need to
>> rush, but there is also no reason not to release fixes as they are
>> available, because there is no particular "ship date" with
>> marketing, etc.
>>

> Jimmy, here's where you're wrong.  The first version was marketed as
> the
> solution that would allow the [[George W. Bush]] article to be
> publicly
> edited - it was marketed that way on and off wiki - and instead we
> had 40
> hours of non-stop IP vandalism and browser crashes for almost every
> reviewer. (The first problem was easily anticipated by just about
> every
> administrator on the site, and the second one by anyone who'd
> already seen
> what had happened with other very large articles.)
>
> This "product" has to be sold to admins to get them to use it; they
> saw the
> first version and all of its significant problems and aren't very
> interested.  And until there is a product that passes their smell
> test, they
> still won't be interested. So installing an "upgrade" that hasn't
> resolved
> ALL of the significant issues is not going to interest the
> "consumers".
>
> The advantage of a coordinated effort of a new trial with an upgraded
> release that has addressed all of the significant issues *and* has
> been
> well-tested on the test wiki is that it can be used to market the
> tool.  It
> doesn't matter whether or not it works well if the people in the
> position to
> use the tool cannot be persuaded it is worthy of their attention.
> Take a
> look at the stats, Jimmy: Six administrators were responsible for
> entering
> 80% of the articles into the first trial, and another 12 responsible
> for the
> next 17%.  Most administrators were not interested the first time
> around.
>

>>> It's pretty hard to maintain motivation, though, when it's clear
> [...]

Regret I was really not involved much in the trial or polls (mostly
been on wiki break for the past ~9 months) but quite concerned now
given Risker's concerns about the software being buggy and other issues.

And seeing people that I have lots of respect for in hot debate (both
sides) concerns me... seems tricky to find the right balance and
solution for moving forward.

[maybe setting rights to bureaucrats or some higher level for now?
Allowing only more narrow testing maybe in non-article space or
something? Until we can decide what/how/when to move forward with next
trial...just throwing ideas out]

Anyway, I would like to be more informed and try testing in some test
space (is there a test wiki for this?) and some summary of the key
issues that I can see?

@aude