[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Kosovo Chapter?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 16:47:46 UTC 2010

On 29 September 2010 13:09, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> That would only be the case if we would have sufficient information to
> actually make a decision and this would be the actual body making such
> decision in the first place. Some very important indicators are still
> missing. We dont know who the group is, what they want to do, what they
> need, how many they are, whether wikimedians are involved in the first
> place, what their goals would be, not even to speak about their proposed
> bylaws.

None of that information has any bearing on whether a disputed
territory of this type can have a chapter. The answer will be the same
for this group with its plans for a Kosovan as it would be for some
other group with some other plans for a Kosovan chapter.

> You suggest that only being a chapter is a potential success outcome. Of
> course that is not the case. Thinking about who you are, where you are,
> where you want to go, what you want to do and what you need to get there is
> never wasted, especially since there are many ways that lead to Rome. Even
> if the conclusion would be that they want to form a chapter, and that would
> be rejected (highly hypothetical) that effort would be well spent because
> you could use it to persue your goals in another way. Being a chapter is a
> tool, not a goal.

I think our goal should be for every region in the world to be covered
by a chapter (obviously, that's a case of aiming high with the
expectation of falling short). That means Kosovo should be covered by
a chapter, either a Kosovan chapter or the Serbian chapter. The latter
seems unlikely to actually work in reality, so we are left with the
former. Some alternative arrangement in the short- to medium-term
might be the best approach, but our long-term goal should be a
chapter.