[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Kosovo Chapter? Re: Fwd: SFK100 Press Release

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 11:07:12 UTC 2010

On 28 September 2010 18:51, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Neither New York nor Hong Kong are independent. So this is not an argument.
> It is completely beside the point what is the point is that Kosovo is
> administratively a separate area. it has its own issues..

The Serbian chapter agreement says it covers all of Serbia. We need to
know what "all of Serbia" means in order to interpret that agreement.
There are three ways we could have two chapters:

1) Two national chapters, considering Serbia and Kosovo to be independant.
2) Two sub-national chapters, considering Serbia and Kosovo to be two
(non-overlapping) parts of the same country.
3) A national chapter covering all of Serbia, which we consider to
include Kosovo, and a sub-national chapter covering just Kosovo
overlapping with the national chapter.

There are some important technical differences between those
arrangements (eg. the third option has all the same issues as have
been brought up regarding a Catalan chapter overlapping with a Spanish
chapter). It would be great if we could just ignore technicalities,
but it is inadvisable. If you just ignore issues that you don't want
to resolve, sooner or later you come to regret that decision.

We also can't ignore the harm that could be caused by being seen to
take sides in the dispute.