[Foundation-l] Pending Changes development update: September 27

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 05:30:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> 2010/9/28 John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com>:
>> IMO, the foundation could look to strengthen its global policies
>> regarding content where living people are a subject. i.e. worded more
>> like the non-free content resolution.  Then the projects _need_ to
>> find appropriate solutions to conform to the WMF requirements, and
>> tools like pending changes will be used if they help achieve
>> compliance with the WMF policy.
>
> You've seen the BLP resolution?
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Biographies_of_living_people
>
> This has inspired lots of cross-language work on BLP policies, and is
> referenced in many of them. It specifically asks for "investigating
> new technical mechanisms to assess edits, particularly when they
> affect living people, and to better enable readers to report
> problems".

Of course I have seen it.  An equally banal question: have you seen
the non-free content policy I referenced in my email?

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Licensing_policy

Notice that the BLP resolution is lame in comparison.  That was my
point.  This is well known, resulting in task forces to improve the
situation.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/BLP_Task_Force
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Living_People

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Living_People/Drafting_pages/Living_People_Policy