[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Kosovo Chapter?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:46:19 UTC 2010

On 28 September 2010 15:27, Joan Goma <jrgoma at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 27 September 2010 21:02, Joan Goma <jrgoma at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > We are here to promote Wikimedia projects not to promote Serbia union nor
>> > Kosovo independence.
>>
>> Very true, but allowing separate Kosovan and Sebian chapters (which is
>> probably best for the WM movement, since the Serbian chapter
>> presumably can't operate effective runs the risk of appearing to
>> promote Kosovan independance. I would love it if we could stay out of
>> the dispute entirely, but it isn't easy to do.
>>

> It seems to me that doing the best for the WM movement only appears to
> promote the best for the WM movement. Doing the worst for the WM movement is
> what not only appear but is a clear proof of political bias. I only can
> agree in preferring an imaginative solution to stay out of the dispute.

Yes, what I wrote doesn't really make sense, does it? What I meant was
that separate chapters is probably best for the WM movement, not
counting the negative impact of being seen to take sides in the
dispute. If you do count that negative impact, then it is much less
clear. People more familiar with the dispute than I am can try and
estimate the extent of the harm taking sides would do.