[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:38:58 UTC 2010

On 27 September 2010 15:17, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few posts back Peter linked to several philosophy-trained editors
> who had left Wikipedia, representing them as examples of the problems
> he has identified.
> I think it's worth reposting here what one of those editors gave as
> his reasons for leaving:
> So what can we learn from these clearly stated objections, and how do
> they apply to the general problem of articles in the humanities?

This appears to be the objections of someone who thinks an
encyclopedia is a journal in the field, or should work like one. As
WJohnson has pointed out, Wikipedia is not a venue for academic
self-promotion either.

You can hardly move on Wikipedia without tripping over experts in
whatever topic you're editing. Why are there any experts on Wikipedia?

- d.