[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] New Wikipedia videos being released this week

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 24 16:39:56 UTC 2010

 The wikimedia community has started translating some of the videos
using free software tools and uploading to be playback on the site with
the mutlimedia beta.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nice_People_MEDIUM.ogv?withJS:MediaWiki:MwEmbed.js

This has a long way to go to match google /youtube ease of translation
and I agree videos posted to youtube by the foundation should include
the English transcripts uploaded so the automatic google thing can do
its magic.

But in terms of our home-brew commons solution we are working with
universal subtitles.org to enable a best of breed open source solution
for collaborative subtitles. ( like translatewiki.net it will probably
take hints from google translate to help transcribers )

We should have a more clear roadmap for such efforts after the subtitle
summit later next week:
http://blog.universalsubtitles.org/2010/08/06/open-subtitles-design-summit/

peace,
--michael