[Foundation-l] Increasing the number of new accounts who actually edit

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:49:38 UTC 2010

On 22 September 2010 17:26, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, only about 1.1% of account registrations reach the level of
> 100 edits.  That conversion rate is tiny.  Even if there are many
> different reasons that such people abandon editing, I have to imagine
> that a significant portion of the other 99% are people we can capture
> and develop into active editors given a bit more support.  Even if
> such efforts can only convince another 1% to become active editors,
> you would still be talking about doubling the size of the active
> community.

It would take a major effort to get individual wiki communities to
actually understand and apply "don't bite the newbies." It's already a
top-down value, just one widely ignored in practice.

(That's because there's ridiculous amounts of complete rubbish to sift
through. I'm not saying it's simple or easily remedied negligence on
the part of existing community members, because if it was it would
have been trivially remedied by now.)

- d.