[Foundation-l] Wikimedia movement roles project

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:26:49 UTC 2010

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has commissioned a
year-long effort to clarify the roles of various stakeholders in the
movement, with the final goal of developing a "Wikimedia Charter"—a
document where the roles and responsibilities within the Wikimedia
organization are clearly defined and agreed upon by all
stakeholders—and a plan for going forward with organizational
development.

This process will be transparent, and open to input from anyone
interested.  It's planned to take approximately one year, with regular
milestones along the way.

A core group of people will be tasked with ensuring that steady
progress is being made toward those milestones.  Although the exact
makeup of the group may change as specific needs are reevaluated, this
working group currently comprises:

* Alice Wiegand
* Arne Klempert
* Austin Hair (facilitator and adviser)
* Barry Newstead
* Bence Damokos
* Bishakha Datta
* Galileo Vidoni
* Jon Huggett (facilitator and adviser)
* Morgan Chan
* Samuel Klein

The work is just getting started, with the inaugural meeting of the
working group having taken place on 10 September; please see the page
on Meta[0] to comment and participate.  Although I expect that there
will be plenty of replies to this e-mail, it would be nice if the
project-related discussion could take place on-wiki.

This announcement is about two weeks overdue—many of you may already
know about it, since it's no secret.  I apologize for that; my
computer died and I didn't manage to retype the e-mail with my thumbs
on my phone before I got the replacement.

I personally hope to see lots of participation, and am willing to
answer any questions about the process.

Best regards,

Austin Hair

[0] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_working_group