[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Robert S. Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Sep 19 23:26:48 UTC 2010

On 09/19/2010 06:48 AM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>> the issue is not
>>
>>> restricted
>>> to the English Wikipedia.
>>>

>> Let's assume there's a problem. What's your plan of action?
>> How does
>> it differ from the usual way of dealing with these issues
>> (getting
>> interested people together, setting up a wikiproject and
>> getting to
>> work)?
>>
> The problems in this area are
>
> (1) demanding subject matter, requiring some familiarity with the topic area to be able to contribute effectively
> (2) the relative scarcity of editors who have prior knowledge in these areas.
>
> So "throwing more editors at the Humanities problem" through a WikiProject may not work in this case. Getting students and academics involved might.
>
> As reported in the press, there is an ongoing WikiProject to improve Wikipedia's Public Policy coverage, through collaboration with university professors and their students. It is funded by a $1.2 million Stanton Foundation grant.
>
> http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_Initiative
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2010/05/11/wikipedia-heads-to-school/
>
> The Foundation has said that it hopes this is only the first of many such collaborations with universities. Now, how do you go about setting a project like this in motion?

I'm not entirely sure how accurate this is, so I'm just making a raw
conjecture here that is completely unsupported by facts other than
perhaps by general observations:

Is it possible that the problem with the humanities-related articles on
Wikipedia has more to do with the lack of an existing culture of
"copyleft" or public domain collaboration?  It has taken literally
decades of effort that go back even a couple of decades earlier of
similar efforts to put together what is today the "open source movement"
that has produced things like Linux, the GNU tools, and software like
Apache.  Wikipedia is a product of this environment too, where many of
those who have participated in developing open source software don't
hesitate to at least add a couple of paragraphs to Wikipedia.

I also don't see any sort of social stigma to having a very experienced
and skilled rocket engineer write or correct a Wikipedia article about a
particular model of a rocket.  In fact that may be a resume enhancement
if you can point to a Wikipedia article that you have written and
brought to Featured Article status.  Heck, most engineering managers
would be impressed that you can write a coherent sentence in the first
place, much less get it "published" even in a forum like Wikipedia.

Needless to say, articles like the Boeing CST-100 article is very much
up to date and shows regular edits where the quality of the article is
constantly improving.  If you've never heard about this spacecraft, it
would be a good one to read BTW.  Not "Featured Article" quality, but an
example of a new article where the collaborative nature of Wikipedia is
its strength and where there isn't a lack of quality editors
participating.  The first edit on this article was just a year ago and
for what is known is an exhaustive article on the topic.

When I see those involved with the Humanities, it is a very different
environment.  I merely mentioned to one historian that I was writing a
Wikipedia article and wanted to ask him a relatively minor question that
could easily be answered.... I was just trying to find the source for
some information he wrote on a website to see if there might be some
additional information I could use in a related Wikipedia article.
Instead, he unleashed on me how I was wasting my time and how I should
stay away from Wikipedia if I knew what was good for me. On top of that,
he mentioned that as a professor he would automatically flunk a student
out of his class (not just give an "F" on the assignment) if he found a
student even consulting Wikipedia for an initial overview of a topic.
There was that much hostility to the project.

BTW, I agree that Wikipedia shouldn't be cited as a source, but I don't
think the Encyclopedia Britannica should be cited either.  There has
been plenty of ink spilled on tis topic that I need not go further.  The
use of Wikipedia to find good sources for a topic, however, should be
something emphasized.  Links to secondary and primary sources is
something that ought to be a strength of Wikipedia.

The problem, to me, is even fostering a collaborative and copyleft meme
among those who work in the humanities.  This is the problem with
humanities related articles on Wikipedia, where it is a symptom of a
much larger cultural problem with this particular academic discipline
rather than something specific to just Wikipedia.  I don't think there
is a "magic bullet" here but I do think it is something that needs
attention.

This also would seem to me as something that will get corrected over
time... as long as we are not talking a mere timespan of just five or
six years but are looking forward in a generation or two.  There is a
generation growing up with Wikipedia, and when those kids get into
college, start to study the humanities and see that Wikipedia is very
weak on those topics but goes into incredible depth on topics like
Palladium, they are going to start writing those other articles that is
currently the complaint about this thread.  I don't think it is
something to necessarily blow millions of dollars upon, but it is
something that should be raised or discussed in academic forums where
appropriate.  It also is a generational issue.

-- Robert Horning