[Foundation-l] Umberto Eco on small languages/dialects Wikipedias (Aristotle article)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:12:00 UTC 2010

Hoi,
The most common different orthographies are those for the American and
British spelling.. When it comes to differences between British and American
English, the standard version of either can be well understood in either
country. Australian English or Jamaican English are less easily understood.
I do not know to what extend Indian English is homogeneous..

As long as people write in either the UK or US orthography, the words are
easily enough understood. The problems comes with implied expected
knowledge. This is where things break down.
Thanks,
      GerardM