[Foundation-l] Umberto Eco on small languages/dialects Wikipedias (Aristotle article)

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 19:08:58 UTC 2010

In the science of linguistics, standard languages are considered to be
dialects which, simply through historical and political factors,
rather than any intrinsic expressive capabilities, are given added
prestige and wider realms of use than other dialects.

I am not from Italy, but speaking generally about languages and
language varieties around the world, I will say that it is true that
for the most part, any concept that can be expressed in one language
can be expressed in another. In some cases, this may require the use
of loanwords or other lexical adaptations, but there is no such thing
as a language variety that is "unsuited" to discuss politics, science
or philosophy. Just because the variety has not been used for that
kind of thing in the past does not mean it is incapable of expressing
those concepts.

When you say that the "dialect", by which I assume you mean the
nonstandard dialect, is only "for daily and familiar use", this
implies to me that just because this is the usual realm of these
language varieties, that it is impossible or not feasible or desirable
to use them outside of these domains. None of these are true, although
of course "desirable" is an own decision of the speaker.

-m.