[Foundation-l] Umberto Eco on small languages/dialects Wikipedias (Aristotle article)

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 09:32:59 UTC 2010

We have heard this type of criticism before, that lower-prestige
varieties or languages that are not "official" or "national" languages
are somehow intrinsically incapable or unsuited to encyclopedic
writing. Article quality on a Wiki is not high or low due to some
intrinsic characteristic or trait of the language variety used, it is
a result of the content not being well-developed. Also, many languages
in a relatively small territory does not mean living in a ghetto; on
the contrary, count how many national languages there are in Europe,
then count how many across all of Latin America, then take a look at
economic indicators and you'll see that there is no necessary
correlation between linguistic diversity and poverty.

-m.