[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 17:28:34 UTC 2010

If we wish to improve the quality of academic articles than we need to
increase Wikipedia's ties with academia.  Poor coverage of topics exists in
all fields.

We need to figure out why the academics we have now do contribute and why
others do not.  What do this group see as barriers to getting involved?

We need to liaison or partner more with Universities.  Have Wikipedia used
more in class projects.  So much student work is just filled away to never
be look at again after a term has ended.  Wikipedia gives student a chance
to make lasting changes to an academic field.

We need to look at why other wikis are being created such as wikidocs,
medpeadia, and radiopedia (there are 87 dealing with science alone) rather
than they joining us.  Others in academia obviously perceive some problems
with our system.  Are this preceptions justified?  Can we work with these
other 87 wiki in a collaborative way to reduce a duplication of effort on
similar content?  Could we convince some of them to simply join us?

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, B.Sc.