[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 15:34:50 UTC 2010

Bod Notbod, when you say, "I see a lot of green", it's also worth looking at what B actually means. The article on Doris Lessing for example, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature, is B class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_lessing

It is woefully inadequate. It says there are three phases to her writing, communist, psychological, and sufic. Only the latter has any coverage at all, and it is generally the least highly regarded part of her output. Everything there is on superficial "controversies" (why did she write science fiction, is she a feminist).

Almost all the sources are newspaper articles; there is not a trace of the available peer-reviewed literature on her output.

It is much the same in the article on Selma Lagerlöf, another Nobel Prize winner, which is Start class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_Lagerlöf

Again, no trace of the scholarly literature. The only biography listed in the bibliography is "Who’s Who in Gay and Lesbian History from Antiquity to World War II", which is sort of typical.

I think there *is* a problem with the humanities, as well as with the gender imbalance in Wikipedia.

It would be worthwhile to study the location of these deficiencies in more depth, and perhaps to establish links to universities, similar to the recently launched public policy initiative, to address the areas where Wikipedia's natural contributor base does most poorly.