[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:46:38 UTC 2010

Well, Peter, it all depends on what metrics you wish to use when deciding
where to spend your money.  In 2005, the English Wikipedia had less than
half the number of articles it has now. Dozens of projects in existence
today weren't even started in 2005; in some cases, they are the only online
reference sources in existence for that language. Commons was a fledgling
project, as was Wikisource (which also now has projects in many languages).
Only a tiny number of articles were considered of high enough quality to be
"featured" in 2005; that number has grown exponentially at the same time as
quality standards for featured content has become more rigorous.

Can the content of all our projects be improved?  Of course it can; even our
highest quality content benefits from periodic review and improvement.  I'd
suggest, however, that the progress of only a handful of the 12 million
articles and files across the WMF group is probably not the best way to
assess the overall quality of the project.  You are, as always, entitled to
your own views on that perspective.

Risker/Anne